Finding the right Landlord and being a good tenant
Trying to find a great place to live can be a tough task. There are so many factors that play into your decision. It’s not always about location, location, location. It’s about finding the right Landlord and being a good tenant. Both the landlord and the tenant have obligations to fulfill for the moving in process to go smoothly.
The landlord must:
- Know the laws. This is a must for you as the landlord to run a successful company.
- Make the repairs in a timely manner.
- Respect the tenant’s privacy. Always give a 24-hour notice when showing apartments for example.
- Keep the lines of communication open.
- Listen to the tenant’s concerns.
- Exercise compassion. That doesn’t mean be a doormat, but things happen and life circumstances change.
As a tenant you need to:
- Read your lease & don’t break your lease, if you must move for whatever reason Sublet, the landlord can help you out with this.
- Pay your rent on time that’s huge and keeps you in the good graces of the landlord.
- Treat your rental like you own it.
- Get renter’s insurance. You can find it for as low as $5.00 a month
- Don’t host all night parties and abide by the quiet hours.
- Abide by the lease. If your lease doesn’t allow pets and you decide to get one after you’ve moved in don’t try to sneak in a dog!